Friday, January 7, 2011

90 Days for Noelle - Day 7

As Jason and I discussed adoption, the only concern we had was finances.  We weren't worried about loving a child that wasn't born to us or what other people might think about us having a child of a different ethnicity.  Jason and I had led Financial Peace classes at church helping people learn how to get out of debt and now we were contemplating taking on the cost of adoption which we obviously didn't have laying around in some obscure bank account. One Sunday morning, our pastor was speaking on the many blessings that God has given us.  He was covering the many different P's...God's pardon, purpose, precepts, providence, provision, presence, and peace.  All of these spoke to my life, but as Pastor Scott gave examples of God's provision, faith burst forth on the scene.  In the car on the way home, I told Jason that I was no longer held back by anything concerning our daughter's adoption.  I knew that the Holy Spirit had confirmed God's word in my heart and that everything would come together.  Over the next few weeks, financial blessings seemed to roll in.  I received an unforeseen bonus at work, Jason's Christmas bonus came, and we were pledged our first donation toward our adoption.  Everything was coming together.  
      Christmas Day came and went.  Cora woke up the next day with fever.  Two days later we found out that she had the flu.  New Year's weekend the heat upstairs went out, Jason came down with flu symptoms the following Monday, then Wednesday we discovered that Jason's wisdom teeth had to come out.  I'm not going to lie.  I became very discouraged.  Where were the blessings, now?  We are trying to save for our adoption and we are having one thing after another pop up with dollar signs attached.  So I did what every good woman does, right?  My husband likes to call it "snowballing".  I cried about the heat unit, the new insurance with its new deductibles, the fact that if Jason would have got his wisdom teeth out last year when they bothered him it would have only cost $25, and then I got upset about being upset..."I should be more thankful"..."I shouldn't complain"...you know, the usual guilt trip I give myself when I am reacting in flesh instead of spirit.  God's word is a sword that pierces even those pity parties we throw ourselves when things aren't quite going the way we planned. Galatians 6:9 says "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
     God is still providing.  He provided the means for us to take care of everything that He already knew was coming our way these past two weeks, and I am thankful for His provision. 


Genesis 22:13-14

 13 Abraham looked up and there in a thicket he saw a ram caught by its horns. He went over and took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son. 14 So Abraham called that place The LORD Will Provide…..


Lord, I thank You that You are our Provider.  You make a way when there seems to be no way.  We trust in your word that says You will provide.  We know that you have called us to adopt and that you will make provision.

3 comments:

  1. That snowballing was funny.. I think all ladies do this. :) All the trials~ should be more conformation that you and Jason are doing the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel. We appreciate your prayer and support. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How discouraging! You summed it up best though, "God is still providing!"

    ReplyDelete