Monday, January 10, 2011

90 Days for Noelle - Day 10

Today I found myself again thinking of Noelle's birth mother.  How old is she?  Is she married?  Does she have other children already?  I am attempting to read a book called "A Thousand Sisters" by Lisa J. Shannon which dubs the Democratic Republic of Congo as "the worst place on Earth to be a woman".  I think about the struggles that Noelle's birth mom might be facing at this very moment.  Was she a victim of a violent act which caused her to conceive?  Although this thought makes me squirm, it is a possibility.  Most of the unrest inside the DRC occurs on the eastern border that it shares with Uganda and Rwanda.  I looked at pictures today of a mass exodus of Congolese people from one area of the country to another in search of a more peaceful place to live.  Was she among those walking with everything they owned strapped to their backs?  We, in America, have no idea what people in other countries endure just to get food, clean drinking water, and shelter.  God, help us to look beyond ourselves.  I confessed to Jason the other day that I was fearful of reading that book (mentioned above) because I knew that with the knowledge I gained would come a responsibility to act.  Isn't that why most of us stop up our ears when we begin to hear bad news or look quickly away when we see a homeless person on the side of the road?  God is calling all of us to act on behalf of the defenseless.  Please join me in prayer for the Democratic Republic of Congo.



Oh Father, please forgive me when I have been indifferent toward your call to act.  I pray for the people of the DRC right now.  Lord, I pray that You would raise up people that have a vision for peace and You will tear down strongholds of violence.  I pray for a special hedge of protection around Noelle and her birth mother.  May Your peace transcend her understanding. God, give us boldness as Your children to act.  Equip us with knowledge and compassion to do Your will on this Earth.  We love You, Lord.  Thank You for Your mercy that is new every morning. Amen.


Matthew 25:40
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

No comments:

Post a Comment