Tuesday, January 4, 2011

90 Days for Noelle - Day 4

 The room is crowded and quiet. I walk up to the window at the front desk to sign in. A lady behind the window asks, "What are you here for?" I awkwardly respond, "an HIV test and..." She interrupts, "do you have an appointment?" I nod yes. She responds, "Sign in, have a seat". I sign the list and look for the nearest seat available. At that moment, there must be a dozen different opinions being gathered of me in these people's minds. It's like you can feel the looks. I know why I am there and doing this, but they don't, which almost makes it funny. I got to thinking about this more and these are probably the same type looks we can expect to receive by having a multi-racial family. People hear or see certain things and immediately think they know the entire story. I hope that when people see our family, they will see love - God's love, that we will be a light to others, and tear down walls that they may not even realize that they have.
 We will soon begin classes dealing with being a "conspicuous" family as part of our requirements. It is something Jessica and I look forward to. I know it will have its moments but, God has called us to do this and we will be "equipped" both mentally and spiritually when we have these encounters.

Matthew 5:11-12

   11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. 

God, we pray that you give our family unity and strength when we are seen negatively by others. We ask that you soften hearts that may have hard feelings toward us, our children, and our family. We honor You in all that we do. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I know that it will be difficult and it will have it's ups and downs but the gift that you will be given when this is over will make everything worth it. God bless you all and I will continue to pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really proud of you and Jessica! I know this is a total God thing! I will be praying for all of you! Dont let anyone discourage you from Gods plan!

    ReplyDelete