Sunday, January 16, 2011

90 Days for Noelle - Day 16

We are so blessed and yet we take so much for granted. We (especially Americans) worry about things that are so petty. Let me soap box for a moment. It drives me crazy when I check my Facebook and most of the posts that I see are things like, "which should I choose the Droid or the iPhone" or "I have not bought anything in three days because I am stuck at home from the snow. I need a shopping trip". Our focus is so far from where it should be, it is sickening. I am not pointing fingers because I fall victim to the same materialism myself at times. Let's face it, we are bombarded with it in America everywhere we go. As Christians, I have heard it said that the easiest way for the devil to attack us is by stealing our time. We let ourselves get so busy in things that is not so important in God's eyes that we open ourselves up to sin. It is so easy for us to lose our focus. We focus on measuring up to those around us instead of measuring ourselves to who God wants us to be. Let me quote something from Crazy Love that hit home to me. "If one hundred people represented the world's population, fifty-three of those would live on less than $2 a day. Do you realize that if you make $4,000 a month, you automatically make one hundred times more than the average person on this planet?" Another quote, "Which is more messed up - that we have so much compared to everyone else, or that we don't think we are rich?" Since we have made the decision to adopt internationally, I find it harder to turn my head from what life is like in less fortunate countries. It is becoming harder to turn the channel when they are showing scenes of starving children or refugees in make-shift camps on tv that are just struggling to survive. It is different for me now. Now I see my daughter in these places. I want to jump on a plane find her tonight and bring her home. I don't want to turn a deaf ear to those on the other side of the world that are crying and in need of help. I want to save Noelle. Not just Noelle, but all these children that need homes, that need love.

Matthew 6:19-21

    19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.


God, forgive us for our lack of concern for others. Forgive us for all the times we have ignored our calling to take care of the poor and orphaned. Please keep us focused as to not miss the opportunity to help those that cannot help themselves. Please allow us to serve You by serving them. We love You, Lord. We want to show Your love to others so as to receive Your love ourselves. We pray that we do not miss these opportunities again. In Your name we pray. Amen

2 comments:

  1. AMEN! We are indifferent. We are self-indulgent and self-consumed. There is so much more we could be doing for the Kingdom.

    When you have time...go to youube and watch Paul Washer's video..."get off facebook and be a man." It is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think of Elvis's song, "In the ghetto". It brings tears to my eyes. Amy Lick

    ReplyDelete