Friday, January 21, 2011

90 Days for Noelle - Day 21

The other night while I was bathing Cora, she wanted to know what her first words were.  This sparked conversation between her daddy and me as to whether Cora's first words were actually "mama" or "dada".  Cora interjects, "what do you think Noelle's first words will be?"  I explain that depending on how old Noelle is when she comes home, she may actually be making a variety of French, Swahili, or Lingala sounds. I am currently using a computer program to learn French, setting aside an hour after school each day to practice.  Right now I'm learning colors and animals.  I can't really figure out how knowing "the red fish" in French will help me while in the Democratic Republic of Congo but you never know. Besides for travel purposes, I am striving to learn portions of these languages so that I can soothe Noelle when she comes home because it will be a strange place to her.  I have heard other stories of moms learning lullabies in the native language of their adopted children so that they can hear something familiar. I hope to retain enough so that I can continue to teach Noelle.  I don't want Noelle to lose a connection with her birthplace and culture. Language learning is a powerful thing.  It bridges communication between cultures and connects people personally.  It's awesome to think that God speaks every language, none are foreign to Him.  He hears me when I pray in English.  He hears my step-mom when she prays in Korean.  He hears my friend in Mexico when he prays in Spanish.  The list goes on and on.  The key is that God hears us when we pray and whether we live in the United States, Iraq, or China...he speaks back to us in the language of our heart.

Psalm 66: 19,20
19 But certainly God has heard me;
         He has attended to the voice of my prayer.
        
 20 Blessed be God,
         Who has not turned away my prayer,
         Nor His mercy from me!

Lord, thank you for hearing me when I pray, cry, complain, laugh.... Thank you for never leaving me nor forsaking me. I praise you for your faithfulness, for your mercy that is new every morning.  Grant me strength and wisdom as I seek knowledge and understanding.  You know all things, Father.  I love you.  Amen.

3 comments:

  1. If you are planning on travelling to Kinshasa, you'd be much better off trying to learn Lingala rather than French.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous,
    My Rosetta Stone doesn't have Lingala. Any suggestions where I can access this language?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a link to some flashcards in Lingala online: http://quizlet.com/1331601/lingala-vocabulary-flash-cards/ (I use these with my kids and even though they're really young, they respond and understand what I'm saying)

    My husband also found an old textbook in Lingala via amazon.com, I think.

    ReplyDelete