Friday, January 28, 2011

90 Days for Noelle - Day 28

Last night I gave three reasons why we chose to adopt a girl from the Democratic Republic of Congo.  I commented that we like to say that the DRC chose us.  When we started researching about international adoption, we were overwhelmed by the number of orphans and the countries that they dwell in throughout the world.  We thought to ourselves, "Where on Earth is our daughter?".  We prayed for clarity in choosing our country and wished that God would just speak to us in an audible voice "This is the country!".  One night we read an article that was part of an information packet from one of the adoption agencies that we were considering at the time. The article was written by a couple that had been in the same dilemma as we were.  They talked about how certain countries eliminate themselves due to certain restrictions on age, income, martial status, etc.  Jason and I were open to any country, but every country was not open to us.  We didn't have a high enough net worth for China.  We had not been married long enough for Haiti. Some countries required travel times that were not feasible for our family (Uganda insists on a 4 week in-country stay). Other doors were closed based on our own preferences for example Peru and Costa Rica do not adopt children under the age of two.  We believe that God has spoken to us through the desires of our heart and has carved a path for us to follow.

Psalm 119:105 
 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Lord, Thank You for Your guidance and for the light that You shine in our hearts.  Illuminate Your will so we may follow it all the days of our lives.   We praise You for Your ever presence, Lord.  In Your name, we pray. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Hello! My name is Rissa, I found your blog site through google, my husband and I are wanting to adopt from Africa, our current goal is to start the paper work this summer. I have been doing massive amounts of research on where in Africa we should adopt from, God willing of course. Like you mentioned in your post - we have been restricted due to requirements. The whole, wanting you to be married for 5 years requirement has really put a very small range on where we can go. I have my eye on the democratic republic of Congo, I noticed that the requirement is that you must be married for 5 years.. since you are already on this journey. Did you notice wether or not this is a type of requirement that can be "waived"? This may be a question that you do not have the answer for, just thought I would give it a shot. my email is erhildy14@gmail.com if you would like to write me back, if you perhaps have any information! If not, I totally understand! Good luck on your Journey, and may God be prevalent through it all! Thanks a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica.. I just love you. You have always been such a wonderful person and you continue to amaze me with your love for life. You are truly an inspiration to me and Noelle is going to be so lucky to have you for her mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hayley,
    Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. Continue to lift us up in prayer. May God bless you abundantly!

    ReplyDelete