Sunday, February 13, 2011

90 Days for Noelle - Day 44

My pastor's sermon today was about extravagant love.  He began his sermon with a story of a pastor who had a bus ministry and was knocking on doors one day to invite people to church.  At a house three miles from the church, he encountered a young boy.  The pastor asked if the parents were home to which the boy responded that his parents take the weekend off while he watches his little brother.  The pastor told the boys about Jesus and they wanted to go to church the next Sunday.  While at church the eldest boy noticed that they were passing around a plate that people were putting money in.  He didn't have anything to give and felt distraught when the plate passed him by.  After the plate was a few rows back, he got up and asked to see the plate again.  He sat it on the ground and stood in it saying that he didn't have anything to give but himself.  Pastor Scott followed the story with John 12:1-12 which tells of Mary anointing Jesus' feet with oil, washing them with her tears, and drying them with her hair.  He talked about our praise having worth.  You are the only one that can give your praise.  I contemplated this a long time today.  I think we all struggle with self worth thinking that we have nothing to give or thinking that what we have is not good enough.  We find our identity in our past sins, hurts, scars.  We have them all boxed up in a "safe" place, but God wants all of us.  As I was at the alter, I kept thinking... "God all I have is broken pieces."  "My righteousness is filthy rags."  "Like the little boy, I don't have anything to give but myself."  I felt like God spoke to me and said that's all I want.  God is the only one that can give us worth because he created us. He paid a high price for us by giving his son to die in our place.  He asks us to cast all our anxieties on him because he cares for us.  He doesn't want us to hold on to old stuff because He wants to make all things new.  God wants us to submit to him and only when we truly surrender do we find peace in our souls.  If I give everything to this great, big God then I don't have to worry or fear because I know He can handle it.  I always wanted someone in my life just to tell me that everything was going to be okay...well...it is.

Psalm 139:14
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
   your works are wonderful,
   I know that full well.

Father, Thank you for faithfulness and  loving kindness.  Your mercy is new every morning.  I praise you for all you have done in my life.  I know that you are at work, preparing me for Noelle.  Continue to make me into the mosaic that you would have me be.  I  love You. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. i didnt know you were adopting ! i hope everything works out the way you want it to

    ReplyDelete