Saturday, February 12, 2011

90 Days for Noelle - Day 43

When I woke up this morning I thought I smelled smoke.  I instantly dismissed it because I always think I smell something.  Jason says I'm like a bloodhound that can smell things from miles away.  As I was washing the dishes, I started hearing sirens and looking out the window I saw a guy directing the firetruck.  I immediately went to look out the back door and saw the neighbors house engulfed in flames.  I panicked because I knew there were at least three young children that lived in the house.  I literally hit my knees on the kitchen floor and prayed for life!  I got Cora dressed and we walked around the block.  Lots of people were standing around watching the firefighters, but I didn't see any sign of children nor ambulances.  Finally I spotted a group of people huddled around watching the house beside a car with the three boys inside.  I was relieved to know that no one was hurt, but felt convicted that I didn't recognize my own neighbor by sight.  I have lived in my house for almost ten years and know that they have lived behind us for at least three.  I have realized many truths today.  1). Stuff is stuff.  Nothing is more important than life.  Yes, it's devastating to lose everything you have, but I can't even imagine if one of those boys had not made it out of the fire.  2). It's a shame that we don't do nice things for the people that live close to us until "something like this happens".  In relation to adoption matters, people talk about how expensive adoption is.  I think to myself... No, it's not cheap, but I could either use the money God's blessed us with to buy more stuff, perhaps a new car, or choose to use it for a meaningful life.  We may not have a crisis in our backyard everyday but there is a crisis going on for someone everyday.  Choose to do something that has purpose.

Mark 12:30,31
30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” 

Lord, Thank You for keeping your hand over my neighbors today and for helping my eyes to be opened to your truth.  Set us free from the mundane. Give us real purpose and passion for You. We love You. Amen.

1 comment: